Stacey and I learned the details of our adoption match on Thursday, February 28, 2013.
I had been traveling in Oklahoma that week for work and we got word on Wednesday afternoon that our agency had received child matches we would receive a call Thursday to inform us. Although I tried to get on a flight home on Wednesday evening, I was unable to catch any flights that night, so I spent a dazed evening in Oklahoma City with a co-worker.
Stacey contacted our agency to arrange for our phone call to happen in the late afternoon on Thursday so that we would be able to take the call together. Thursday was a beautiful and chilly day in Oklahoma City, and since my flight didn't leave until late morning my co-worker and I toured the Oklahoma City memorial and had a relaxed time before getting to the airport.
I was trying lots of techniques to calm my nerves on the return flight. First, I decided to do some work, so I distracted myself with that for a while. Then I tried to downplay the exciting news in my own mind. I thought about how I already knew it would be a girl, and she would be between 9-12 months and it would be fun to learn her name and where she is located. My mood shifted quickly when I realized I had set the time for the call based on central time, rather than eastern. I quickly signed up for wireless access on the plane and managed to get emails to both Stacey and the agency with the hopes of pushing the call back yet another hour so I could get home.
Bad traffic from the Baltimore airport put me even a little farther behind, but I walked into the house with just five minutes to spare. I suddenly had some nasty stomach issues (I will spare the details here), which were not part of how I had envisioned my state when receiving our match call. Stacey answered the phone and bought me a few minutes before I was able to pull myself together.
Andrea, our contact from our adoption agency, said hello to me and then said "Congratulations, you have been matched with twins!" We were both shocked and elated at the news. Stacey's response was "Shut up!" We couldn't believe it and had to take a few minutes before we could listen to the additional details Andrea had for us. She said she was so happy to be making this call in particular since we had such a joyous reaction. Andrea told us their names, where they are now, and some other basic information. She also sent us an email with their photo (which is at the top of this page) and let us know we would receive a full package of information the following day.
Stacey and I immediately called our family members to let everyone know the news. Then we took the iPad down the street, going door-to-door, showing our unsuspecting neighbors the photo. It was a lot of fun to share this great news with everyone - and to have so much positive feedback.
(Stacey even went up to a neighbor in a car down the street and tapped on their car window. Turns out it was a stranger. We did not force the photo on him.)
When we were exhausted and hungry, and had run out of available neighbors, we went for Chinese food! It seemed appropriate.
No comments:
Post a Comment